This pattern was inspired by an old Boy Scout
kerchief slide pattern.
We use it as a pin or as an ornament.
The pattern also makes a great bolo.
Glue "snowballs" on the ends of the lanyard.
Adjust the size and wood thickness as desired.
Back to Patterns
TOOLS -- carving knife, pencil,
Pin: one pinback (3/4-in min.), glue, sandpaper,
tooth pick (to dot eyes & mouth)
Ornament: one (217-1/2) brass screw eye & a 4-6"
length of 1/4" ribbon or string
Bolo: a lanyard, clip, and tips (use 1/2" balls,
WOOD --2-1/2" x 3" x
1/2" basswood strip & tooth pick or bamboo skewer for nose
- Paints: white, orange, red, black, cool color
- Brush: as per size of carving
- Sealers: fast-dry lacquer, acrylic sealer
Click to Enlarge
- Transfer the pattern to the wood. Cut out
- Using paring cuts, remove the saw marks on the edge
of the blank.
- Round the edges of the blank. Beware the
changes in grain dynamics. If the knife cuts "chunks", reverse the
direction of the cut.
- Stop cut the bottom of the hat brim. Cut
back to separate head from the hat.
- Stop cut the top of the brim and cut back to
separate from the top of hat. Deepen this cut to at least 1/8".
- Using paring/push/pull cuts, round off the top of
- Stop cut the top of the hat band. Cut back
to separate from the hat's crown.
- Stop cut the bottom of the "chin".
Cut back to separate the head from the scarf. Deepen this cut to at least 1/8".
- Use paring/push/pull cuts to round the sides of the
- Using stop and cutbacks, separate the scarf
- Smooth and round-up as desired. Brush the
carving with the toothbrush to remove loose chips.
- OPTIONAL: if not painting the
nose, cut the tip of the skewer or tooth pick and shape. Drill a hole to receive the
nose. Fit and glue.
- Clean-up the fuzzies. Sand as needed.
- Damp brush the carving, using a toothbrush and
soapy water. Pat dry and leave to dry.
- Spray with quick-dry lacquer to seal the wood and
- Paint and let dry.
Hat = black
Hat band = red or color color (add glitter for an extra touch)
Face = white
Nose = orange
Scarf = color color of choice (add dots or stripes if desired)
Eyes/Mouth = black dots (made with tooth pick)
NOTE: Check the carver's
- Spray with acrylic sealer and let dry.
- Apply antiquing gel if desire. Re-seal and
- Glue pinback and let dry.
Ornament: Insert screw eye in center of the top hat. Cut and insert 4-6"
- Sign and date the project. It is done !!