:: MATERIALS · PATTERN · NOTES ::
:: Back to Patterns ::
TOOLS -- carving
knife, pencil, saw, toothbrush
(3/4-in), glue, sandpaper
- Sealers: fast-dry lacquer,
- Transfer the pattern to the wood.
Cut out the blank.
- Using paring cuts, remove the saw
marks on the edge of the blank.
- Round the edges of the blank.
Beware the changes in grain dynamics. If the knife cuts "chunks", reverse
the direction of the cut.
- Smooth and round-up as desired.
Brush the carving with the toothbrush to remove loose chips.
- Clean-up the fuzzies. Sand as
- Damp brush the carving, using a
toothbrush and soapy water. Pat dry and leave to dry.
- Spray with quick-dry lacquer to seal
the wood and let dry.
- Paint and let dry.
- Spray with acrylic sealer and let
- Apply antiquing gel if desire.
Re-seal and let dry.
- Glue pinback and let dry.
- Sign and date the project. It
is done !!